Welcome To My Blog

Thanks for checking the blog out... Hope it offers something a bit different every now & again. Though I come from a pseudo - Mod background (Soul & Ska in particular), I have a diverse taste in music & hope my varied posts will reflect this.

Cheers Skamanc .... I'm not after your undying gratitude, but please leave your thoughts, comments & opinions on the posts & content. I regularly up- & download material, plus buy and trade items. As such, if I have inadvertently "trodden on anyone's toes" in posting anything then please let me know & accept my apologies. Also please support the artists involved & remember that the blog is merely a pointer toward these various downloads, which are stored elsewhere. Legally, any downloads should not be retained for more than a week. So now I've told you the legal bit !

Feel free to give me a shout : waltjabsco@hotmail.com

Manchester M22, September 2016

For my kids, Dylan & Tommy. Bollocks to the ex Mrs!

Special thanks to Steve White (software), Gordon Waring (music), Shaun Robinson (artwork), Paul Buddery (DVD's / software) & Sonchey Barrett (essential technical advice!).

"Thank you" also to regular contributors Herr Pauli (Malente, Germany), Phil (Shetland), Deco Mc Dermott & Mark Pengelly of Dublin, Martin Smith (Barnet), Paul Baily (London) and Rodd (Australia).

Thursday 3 February 2011

NEIL YOUNG SADLY DIES


Ex Manchester City striker, the subject of several recent posts, passed away today, after suffering with cancer. An integral part of the all conquering late 60s City side, Young was a modest, unassuming man, whom I had the pleasure of meeting twice @ Supporters functions.

As Mike Summerbee said recently "There was a Bell, Lee & Summerbee video, of which Neil Young was the star".

 He will be sadly missed.

A brief BBC article can be found here : http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9386667.stm

Pretty crap tribute in tonights Manchester (United) Evening News... 1st few lines mentioned that Neil had been a smoker & even showed a pic of him with a cigar in 1970, celebrating the birth of his child. Pretty tacky editing really & inappropraite in my book.

Some decent quotes & tributes from ex colleagues etc.

I've filed the paper away with some programmes, signed pics & books, though my initial reaction was to stick it in the recycling.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear the news skamanc.

    I have an odd affection for Neil. It was his arrival that meant there was no place for Dave Wagstaffe at Maine Road. So he was transferred to Wolves and was I grateful for that.
    This is a great vid - what a way to win the league! What a dump St. James was, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah a crap ground but a cracking game...

    Apparently one of the reasons Summerbee signed to City in 1965 was that he fancied playing on the opposite wing to Wagstaffe - he was transferred shortly after though. That's life I suppose.

    Young made his debut in November 1961 (aged 17) though really made a name & regular 1st team slot for himself with Mercer & Allion (again 1965) as an inside left.

    Dylan & I will be at the West Brom game tomorrow and I'll report back on the tribute/s laid on for Neil.

    I only saw him play on a handful of occasions (as a very young lad with my Dad) and met him twice in later years, but I am really cut up about his death.

    I think its partly due to what a nice feller he seemed to be, plus the cruel hand life dealt him in general. Also I think he represents more innocent times along with simply being a great, locally born player in a fantastic squad of players.

    I just hope someone posts a youtube clip of the Granada reports feature that (briefly) includes Tommy (other son) and myself.

    ReplyDelete